Calling all New Hampshire and New England playwrights! Working Title Productions will be hosting its second annual Granite State Playwrights Workshop (GSPW) weekend.
We know that finding the time to get people together to read out new work can be difficult. Under the inspiration of 24 Hour Theater festivals, the Granite State Playwrights Workshop is intended to give New Hampshire and New England playwrights a condensed period in which their work is rehearsed and given a reading in order to garner feedback and aid in the editing process. Approximately 2-3 playwrights will be selected for the workshop weekend. Directors and stage managers will be recruited prior to the weekend and audition nights will be held in June.
Directors, playwrights, and our artistic directors will meet at least once prior to the beginning of the rehearsal period to discuss the process and what the playwrights hope to gain from the process.
This year the performance weekend is January 5th-7th, 2018 (Location/Date final but we’re not yet able to make the where public knowledge yet).
Due to the date of this year’s event we have changed our format. Instead of rehearsing a single weekend, we are spreading out our rehearsal period. We anticipate having casting in place by September at the latest. On a Saturday in October and a Saturday in November (specific dates and locations to be determined) we will have a rehearsal period from approximately 10am-6pm. Then, there would be final rehearsal(s) at the theater on Tuesday and/or Wednesday night (1/2 and 1/3/18), a tech/dress rehearsal Thursday night (1/4/18), and then performances during the weekend (Friday Night, Saturday Night, Sunday Matinee).
The reading will allow for minimal blocking but no sets or major costuming. In addition, we intend to split any profits amongst those who participate (ie. Playwrights, Directors, etc.). Preference to NH playwrights will be given during script selection, with possible exceptions being made for New England playwrights who are willing to travel to NH for the weekend and understand that they are responsible for any costs incurred.
If selected, playwrights will be required to attend the Saturday rehearsals in October and November and the performance weekend. If possible, the playwrights will be encouraged to also participate at auditions, the final rehearsal(s) on Tuesday/Wednesday, and tech/dress rehearsal on Thursday. All who ultimately participate (Playwrights, Directors, Actors, etc.) in the weekend will receive some monetary compensation though the particular amount will depend on house sales for the performance.
Requirements and Additional Information:
- The playwrights who are selected must be in attendance for the Saturday rehearsals in October and November and the performance weekend January 5th-7th, 2018.
- We would like playwrights to be in attendance at the audition night(s), the final rehearsal(s) on Tuesday/Wednesday, and tech/dress rehearsal on Thursday as well but is not a requirement.
- The performances will take place in Concord, NH. The Saturday rehearsals in October and November will take place in either Concord or Nashua, NH (specific dates and locations still being determined).
- Preference will be given to New Hampshire playwrights but New England Playwrights are welcome to participate if they are willing to take on housing and travel expenses.
- For this call we are including New York in our definition of New England.
- Playwrights will receive a portion of the house sales. It is the goal of Working Title Productions to provide some monetary compensation to all who participate in the workshop weekend (Directors, Actors, Playwrights, etc) even if it is only a small amount.
- We hope that those involved will invite and bring patrons to the performance though we set no requirement in ticket sales. However, the number of tickets sold directly influences how much money can be split amongst the company.
- We are accepting full length and one act scripts. No ten minute plays will be selected and at this time we cannot accommodate musicals.
- Please read your script aloud to yourself and time it (include reading out important stage directions), if your script runs anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes then please submit!
- In order to ensure that actors have the opportunity to thoroughly build your characters, your script should require no more than 7 actors.
- If your play can take advantage of doubling actors, please do not double more than 3 and let us know on the script that the doubling should occur with those specific characters.
- Some minimal blocking and costuming will be allowed for the performance. Chairs and a table will be provided (Directors will be provided; this information is just for your knowledge).
- It is intended that this will be a script in hand rehearsed reading performance at the end of the weekend. The blocking and costuming is meant to give the audience an idea of what the show may look like and clarify dialogue and/or action. It is not meant to be a fully staged performance.
- Plays need to be complete but at a point where they still need to be finalized. For example, having a scene that you believe needs work or wondering if your message gets across.
- For an idea of how Working Title likes this process to function please review our Rules of Collaboration post.
- No more than 2 scripts may be submitted by a single playwright
- All playwrights will be contacted about whether or not their play was selected for the weekend by the end of May 2017.
- All plays will be read and reviewed and a top five will be selected. The top five will then be blindly distributed to a panel of three that will determine what plays are ultimately selected.
- The submission window closes at 11:59:59pm on May 1st, 2017 *Please note this is an extension to a previously shared deadline*
- In the body of your email submission to us please include:
- The title of your play
- Character age and gender breakdown
- Any special casting requirements (for example, a character who plays the guitar or of a specific ethnic background).
- Where you are from
- If out of state, a sentence letting us know you understand you are responsible for travel expenses and finding lodging for the weekend.
- Your contact information: Name, phone number, and email address
- Finally, please attach your play in either PDF or Word format
- Standard play format please.
You can submit your plays at email@example.com
Thanks so much and we look forward to reading your work!